New Delhi: Just days after the United Nations raised doubts about the clampdown that had been imposed in Kashmir, the Union home ministry has started restoring communication services in the Valley, starting Wednesday evening.

Just days after the United Nations raised doubts about the clampdown that had been imposed in Kashmir, the Union home ministry started restoring communication services in the valley, starting Wednesday evening.

The move comes a month after a complete communication ban was imposed in the Valley, in order to quell any kind of retaliatory action to the abrogation of Article 370, with the government rationalising the communication shut down as a means to dispel rumour mongering and backlash.

While only postpaid mobile services have been activated in Jammu and Kashmir starting Wednesday, an official familiar with the development said that even as mobile numbers of officials catering to essential services have also been activated, the status of mobile services being activated in other areas is still unknown.

“Most terrorist groups use mobiles to communicate. The sim cards are disposed off so that they cannot be tracked. That is one of the major reasons. Given the fact that Lashkar-e-Toiba has become active again in the Valley, the administration is being cautious for the welfare of the people," said the official, requesting anonymity.

Last week, all landline connections across the valley had been restored with the activation of telephone exchanges.

However, even as schools and government offices had been made functional a fortnight back, attendance in schools remained bleak.

“The attendance of teachers is around 75% across schools but the attendance of students is still very thin. We are working concertedly to ensure that no civilian is harmed when on their way to work or attend school," another Central government official noted.

Close