'All the medical expenses of the injured will be borne by the Government of Maharashtra,' said Maha government
The structure that collapsed was an illegal extension of the Kesarbai building, located on Tandel Street in Dongri, said MHADA
Mumbai: The death toll in the building collapse incident in south Mumbai's congested Dongri area has gone up to 14, the NDRF said on Wednesday, even as the rescue-and-search operations were underway for those trapped under the debris.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has announced a compensation of ₹five lakh for the kin of those killed in the incident and ₹50,000 for the injured persons.
"All the medical expenses of the injured will be borne by the Government of Maharashtra," the Chief Minister's Office (CMO) said.
"So far, 14 people — seven men, four women and three children — have lost their lives. Nine others were injured, they are being provided medical treatment," National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) spokesperson Sachidanand Gawde said.
He said the search-and-rescue operations continued throughout the night and were still on.
"It (search-and-rescue operations) will go on till the last piece of rubble is removed from the spot," Gawde said.
The official said his team members were told about the presence of a few customers at an eatery on the ground floor of the building when the incident happened but no one was sure of the exact number.
"So, our job is still left to rescue those men," he said.