Mumbai local trains: Central Railway to operate its first AC local on Thane- Vashi-Panvel Trans-Harbour route
2 min read.Updated: 10 Jan 2020, 12:27 AM IST
Written By Tamal Nandi
The local AC train will be the fifth to run on Mumbai’s suburban services, with the other four being run by the Western Railway (WR) zone of Indian railways
In December 2019, the CR had received the first AC local for the Mumbai suburban network from Chennai-based Integral Coach Factory (ICF)
Indian Railways' Central Railway zone has finally decided the route on which it will operate its first local AC train. This AC EMU train has 12 fully air-conditioned coaches, including the driving cabs.
Mumbaikars who travel on the Thane- Vashi-Panvel Trans-Harbour route will soon get to enjoy travel on the local AC train after it gets the final approval from the railway board, a senior official told PTI.
The local AC train will be the fifth to run on Mumbai’s suburban services, with the other four being run by the Western Railway (WR) zone of Indian railways.
General manager of the Central Railway (CR), Sanjeev Mittal said, “The first AC local will operate on the Trans-Harbour route. It will replace one of the existing local trains."
In December 2019, the CR had received the first AC local for the Mumbai suburban network from Chennai-based Integral Coach Factory (ICF).
The AC local, which is currently undergoing various safety trials, will take another 8-9 days to operate in public service, the official said.
Salient features of the Mumbai AC local train:
• Air conditioning system for passenger & driver. 2 X 15 ton capacity roof mounted package units (RMPU) for air conditioning in each coach.
• Air Spring Suspension: For excellent ride comfort and to sustain Super Dense Crush Loads of Suburban traffic, the EMU rake is provided with secondary air suspension with two air bellows, provided on each bogie.
• Passenger Address & Passenger Information system (PAPIS): It is a GPS based information system for passenger with intercom facility. Through this system, facility of passenger information, driver-guard communication through intercom, driver/guard to passenger communication through ETU, train radio.
• In Coach Display in each coach: There are two sided display and two double sided display in each coach.
• Head Code Display: LED based Head Code display in ENGLISH & HINDI with handicap and ladies coach position is provided in front of both driving trailer coaches.
• LED Based Coach identification system for Alarm chain pulling & Door malfunctioning.
• Ergonomically designed stainless steel passenger seats.
• Wide and large double-glass sealed windows to offer panoramic view outside.
• Vestibule design: Air tight gangways (Vestibules) in all trailer coaches and through vestibule available for 6 coaches each.
• LED based lighting for better illumination and energy conservation.
• Spacious and robust stainless coaches with straight side walls.
• Aluminum extruded modular luggage racks with poly carbonate transparent glass at bottom.