Active Stocks
Tue Apr 16 2024 15:59:30
  1. Tata Steel share price
  2. 160.05 -0.53%
  1. Infosys share price
  2. 1,414.75 -3.65%
  1. NTPC share price
  2. 359.40 -0.54%
  1. State Bank Of India share price
  2. 751.90 -0.65%
  1. HDFC Bank share price
  2. 1,509.40 0.97%
Business News/ News / India/  Must Read: When Rakesh Jhunjhunwala spoke about death, plans to give away wealth to charity

Must Read: When Rakesh Jhunjhunwala spoke about death, plans to give away wealth to charity

By 2021, Rakesh Jhunjhunwala had already begun planning how he would spend his enormous riches.

Rakesh Jhunjhunwala's net worth is nearly ₹48,000 crore.Premium
Rakesh Jhunjhunwala's net worth is nearly 48,000 crore.

Rakesh Jhunjhunwala. Whose net worth is nearly 48,000 crore, had plans to give away a large portion of his wealth to charity - starting from 2025. In a 2021 interview, the Warren Buffett of India mentioned donating it to his charitable organisation, RARE Family Foundation.

Rakesh Jhunjhunwala death live updates

Jhunjhunwala claimed that he had a philosophical outlook on life and his place in it. He was more aware of the fact that success was fleeting and impermanent and that he needed to try to live a healthier life. He was acutely conscious of his own mortality at the age of 61. According to him, India's average life expectancy is around 70 years.

Also Read: Rakesh Jhunjhunwala’s dance in wheelchair is the most emotional thing you’ll watch today

During the interview, however, Jhunjhunwala dispelled any suggestion that he had become cautious. He said he would make an investment right away if he was given 500 crore.

However, by 2021, Jhunjhunwala had already begun planning how he would spend his enormous riches. Although he has delayed doing so until 2025, he claimed that the intention to give it away had now expanded.

Also Read: 'Success is temporary': A journey of Rakesh Jhunjhunwala's net worth

Jhunjhunwala promised to give 5,000 crore to his charity, RARE Family Foundation, between April and December 2025. After that, he said that he would value his portfolio on March 1 of every year and donate 2% of it till he reached 25,000 crore. He wanted his foundation to focus on a variety of issues, including nutrition, heart surgery for young patients and the establishment of a sports academy.

Jhunjhunwala said the foundation would have a team with a chairman and the Jhunjhunwala family as the principal donor. He said that just 10% of donations would be used at the family's discretion, with the remaining 90% requiring approval from the advisory board before being used.

Also Read: India's Warren Buffett's image was not soiled with scams

Having recently returned from vacations in Goa, Delhi and Dubai, Jhunjhunwala started spending more time with his family and kids. He used to read and watch movies when he was at home. Even though his workday started when the markets opened, he arrived at the office around noon. Jhunjhunwala added that he intended to reduce his trading endeavours.

Unlock a world of Benefits! From insightful newsletters to real-time stock tracking, breaking news and a personalized newsfeed – it's all here, just a click away! Login Now!

Sounak Mukhopadhyay
Sounak Mukhopadhyay, who also goes by the name Sounak Mukherjee, has been producing digital news since 2012. He's worked for the International Business Times, The Inquisitr, and Moneycontrol in the past. He's also contributed to Free Press Journal and TheRichest with feature articles. He covers news for a wide range of subjects including business, finance, economy, politics and sports. Before working with digital news publications, he worked as a freelance content writer.
Catch all the Business News, Market News, Breaking News Events and Latest News Updates on Live Mint. Download The Mint News App to get Daily Market Updates.
More Less
Published: 14 Aug 2022, 06:35 PM IST
Next Story footLogo
Recommended For You
Switch to the Mint app for fast and personalized news - Get App