Active Stocks
Thu May 23 2024 12:40:26
  1. NTPC share price
  2. 371.15 -0.74%
  1. Tata Steel share price
  2. 173.45 0.09%
  1. Power Grid Corporation Of India share price
  2. 317.00 -2.70%
  1. Indusind Bank share price
  2. 1,433.20 1.66%
  1. State Bank Of India share price
  2. 832.90 1.66%
Business News/ News / India/  NCERT textbook row: ‘Name withdrawal spectacle disrupting curriculum,’ say 73 academicians
BackBack

NCERT textbook row: ‘Name withdrawal spectacle disrupting curriculum,’ say 73 academicians

The dropping of several topics and portions from NCERT textbooks last month triggered a controversy, with the opposition blaming the BJP-led Centre of ‘whitewashing with vengeance’.

The dropping of several topics and portions from NCERT textbooks last month triggered a controversy, with the opposition blaming the BJP-led Centre.Premium
The dropping of several topics and portions from NCERT textbooks last month triggered a controversy, with the opposition blaming the BJP-led Centre.

A group of academicians, which includes vice-chancellors of central universities, NIT directors, and IIM chairpersons, has expressed concerns about certain individuals who have withdrawn their names from the NCERT textbook row.

As reported by PTI, according to them, this dramatic action by some individuals, whom they describe as arrogant and self-interested, is causing disruptions in the curriculum updating process.

A number of academicians as well as political scientists Yogendra Yadav and Suhas Palshikar, who were part of the textbook development committee of the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT), had asked the council to drop their names from textbooks over "several substantive revisions of the original texts".

A joint statement issued by 73 academicians on Thursday night alleged that there have been deliberate attempts to malign the NCERT in the last three months and this reflects the "intellectual arrogance of academicians who want students to study 17-year-old textbooks".

The signatories to the statement include the vice-chancellors of the Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), Tezpur University, Mahatma Gandhi Central University, The English and Foreign Languages University, Central University of Jharkhand, Ranchi University, Bangalore University, Indira Gandhi National Tribal University, the NIT Jalandhar director, the chairman of the Board of Governors, IIM Kashipur, the ICSSR secretary and the NIOS chairman.

"In the past three months, there have been deliberate attempts to malign the NCERT, a leading public institution, and disrupt the much-needed process for curriculum updation.

"Academicians trying to capture media attention through this name-withdrawal spectacle seem to have forgotten that textbooks are an outcome of collective intellectual engagement and rigorous efforts," the statement said.

"The scholars who have suggested the changes in the textbooks have not suggested any epistemic rupture in the existing domain of knowledge, but just rationalised the course content as per contemporary knowledge need.

"As regards the decision of who decides what is unacceptable and what is desirable it is argued that every new generation has the right to make additions/deletions to the existing knowledge base," it added.

The NCERT, however, has said the withdrawal of anyone's association is out of question as textbooks at the school level are developed on the basis of knowledge and understanding on a given subject and at no stage, individual authorship is claimed.

"Through misinformation, rumours and false allegations, they want to derail the implementation of the National Education Policy (NEP 2020) and disrupt the updation of NCERT textbooks. Their demand that students continue to study from 17-year-old textbooks rather than updated textbooks in sync with contemporary developments and pedagogical advancement reveals intellectual arrogance," the joint statement said.

"In their quest to further their political agenda, they are ready to endanger the future of crores of children across the country. While students are eagerly awaiting updated textbooks, these academicians are continuing to create hurdles and derail the entire process," it said.

The dropping of several topics and portions from NCERT textbooks last month triggered a controversy, with the opposition blaming the BJP-led Centre of "whitewashing with vengeance".

At the heart of the controversy was the fact that while the changes made as part of a rationalisation exercise were notified, some of the controversial deletions were not mentioned. This led to allegations about a bid to delete these portions surreptitiously.

Although the NCERT acknowledged that the omissions in the textbooks may have been unintentional, they declined to reverse the deletions. The NCERT stated that the removals were made based on the recommendations provided by experts.

It had also said the textbooks were anyway headed for a revision in 2024, the year when the National Curriculum Framework (NCF) kicks in. However, it subsequently changed its stand and said "minor changes need not be notified".

(With inputs from PTI)

You are on Mint! India's #1 news destination (Source: Press Gazette). To learn more about our business coverage and market insights Click Here!

Catch all the Business News, Market News, Breaking News Events and Latest News Updates on Live Mint. Download The Mint News App to get Daily Market Updates.
More Less
Published: 16 Jun 2023, 10:05 AM IST
Next Story footLogo
Recommended For You