PMUY: How to avail full benefits of Ujjwala Yojana2 min read . Updated: 14 Sep 2019, 07:00 AM IST
- Over 80 million families have been benefited from Ujjwala Yojana
- Ujjwala Yojana has benefitted over 1.46 crore BPL families in Uttar Pradesh, 88 lakh in West Bengal, 85 lakh in Bihar, 71 lakh in Madhya Pradesh and 63 lakh in Rajasthan.
Over 80 million families have been benefited from the scheme. Prime Minister Narendra Modi himself, on 9 September, distributed the 80th million connection of free cooking gas to Ayesha Sheikh Rafique of Aurangabad, seven months ahead of schedule.
The highly popular scheme has benefitted over 1.46 crore BPL families in Uttar Pradesh, 88 lakh in West Bengal, 85 lakh in Bihar, 71 lakh in Madhya Pradesh and 63 lakh in Rajasthan.
Here is how one can get the full benefit of the scheme which is considered as one of the main reasons of the popularity of Modi government in rural areas and in BPL families.
Who can get the benefit of Ujjwala Yojana
All BPL families can get the benefit of this scheme. The identification of the BPL families is done through Socio Economic Caste Census Data 2011.
The scheme also covers all SC/STs households’ beneficiaries of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) (Gramin), Antyoday Anna Yojana (AAY), forest dwellers, Most Backward Classes (MBC), tea and ex-tea garden tribes, and people residing in Islands/river islands having no LPG connection.
How to apply for the scheme
• Any adult women from a BPL family can apply for a deposit free LPG gas connection under the Ujjwala scheme, subject to the condition that no LPG connection exists in the name of any member of her household.
• The connection will be issued by the Oil Marketing Companies (OMCs) to the eligible beneficiaries after processing the application.
• In case the consumer opts for EMI, the EMI amount will be adjusted against the subsidy amount due to the consumer on each refill.
How to get the form of the scheme
The form can be downloaded from the website Prime Minister Ujjwala Yojana. One can also get the PMUY Form from the nearest LPG distributor.
Necessary documents for applying the scheme
• BPL Card
• Photo ID Card (Aadhaar/ Voter ID Card)
• Passport size photo
• Copy of a BPL ration card
• LIC Policy
• Jan Dhan Account statement
• Copy of Socio Economic Caste Census Data 2011 having the applicant name
The scheme, run by the central government with the help of Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, was launched by PM Modi on 1 May 2016 in Ballia, Uttar Pradesh.
It aims to safeguard the health of women by providing them with a clean cooking fuel – LPG, so that they don’t have to compromise their health in smoky kitchens. To ensure women’s empowerment, the connections are issued in the name of women of the households.
As per a WHO report, smoke inhaled by women from unclean fuels like firewood, coal, dung – cakes, is equivalent to burning 400 cigarettes in an hour.