Railways spent ₹2,142 cr on Shramik Specials, generated ₹429 cr revenue:Data

  • Gujarat paid the highest amount of Rs.102 crore sending 15 lakh migrant workers followed by Maharashtra which spent 85 crore to ferry 12 lakh workers
  • Railways paid 85% of the amount while the states paid rest 15% of the fare, said a railway official

Ananya Sengupta (with inputs from PTI)
Updated24 Jul 2020, 08:49 PM IST
The railways has been drawing flak over poor supply of food and water in Shramik trains
The railways has been drawing flak over poor supply of food and water in Shramik trains(MINT_PRINT)

The Railways spent 2,142 crore on running Shramik Special trains for ferrying stranded migrant workers home during the coronavirus lockdown, but earned a revenue of just 429 crore, official data shows.

According to data available with PTI, the highest amount of money -- 102 crore - was paid by the Gujarat government as fares for ferrying more than 15 lakh migrant workers back to their native states in 1,027 trains.

It was followed by Maharashtra, which paid 85 crore to ferry 12 lakh workers back in 844 trains. Tamil Nadu paid 34 crore to the Railways for transporting around four lakh migrant workers to their home states in 271 trains.

States like Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and West Bengal, which are generally considered source states for migrant workers, paid 21 crore, 8 crore, and 64 lakh respectively to ferry migrants out, the data shows.

The data, received through an RTI application filed by activist Ajay Bose, shows that the Railways earned 428 crore till June 29, by when most of the 4,615 trains had been run.

Additionally, it earned around 1 crore by running 13 trains in July.

Another set of data, received from the Railways on its expenditure, shows that it spent 3,400 per passenger the Shramik Special trains, which amounts to 2,142 crore for around 63 lakh migrant workers ferried in total.

A senior railway official said the national transporter only managed to recover 15 percent of the cost of operations from states and the rest 85 per cent was borne by the ministry.

“The average fare per person on Shramik Special trains is 600. However, we have spent 3,400 per passenger, amounting to a total of 2,142 crore. And by carrying 63 lakh migrant workers home since May 1, we generated a revenue of 429 crore,” the official confirmed.

However, this effort of the Railways should not be seen from the prism of profit and loss, he said.

¨What the Railways did during the pandemic was part of a united effort to contribute in the fight against the pandemic. It should not be seen in terms of profit and loss,” said the official.

On Thursday, the Railways said it had met all the demand of states by then for Shramik Special trains, with the last service being operated on July 9.

The Railways started Shramik Specials on May 1 to transport stranded migrant workers to their native states after thousands tried to reach home on foot due to the lockdown transport restrictions.

On July 9, the last two trains departed from the Chennai Central station -- one to Jodhpur with 1,449 passengers, and the other to Howrah with 1,620 passengers, officials said.

The Railways said it operated 4,109 Shramik trains in May, which came down to 493 in June, and 13 in July.

Most of these trains originated from Gujarat, followed by Maharashtra and were destined to Uttar Pradesh and Bihar, officials said.

Catch all the Business News, Market News, Breaking News Events and Latest News Updates on Live Mint. Download The Mint News App to get Daily Market Updates.MoreLess
First Published:24 Jul 2020, 08:49 PM IST
HomeNewsIndiaRailways spent ₹2,142 cr on Shramik Specials, generated ₹429 cr revenue:Data

Most Active Stocks

Indian Oil Corporation

03:58 PM | 12 JUL 2024
-7.6 (-4.36%)

Tata Steel

03:58 PM | 12 JUL 2024
-0.3 (-0.18%)

Bharat Electronics

03:59 PM | 12 JUL 2024
-2.25 (-0.67%)


03:56 PM | 12 JUL 2024
25.7 (4.81%)
More Active Stocks

Market Snapshot

  • Top Gainers
  • Top Losers
  • 52 Week High

KPIT Technologies

03:57 PM | 12 JUL 2024
154.25 (9.02%)

Inox Wind

03:59 PM | 12 JUL 2024
13.85 (8.76%)

Zensar Technologies

03:29 PM | 12 JUL 2024
50.45 (7.03%)


03:29 PM | 12 JUL 2024
386.65 (6.95%)
More from Top Gainers

Recommended For You

    More Recommendations

    Gold Prices

    • 24K
    • 22K

    Fuel Price

    • Petrol
    • Diesel
    New Delhi
    HomeMarketsPremiumInstant LoanMint Shorts