Home > News > India > SpiceJet plane stranded on Mumbai airport runway finally pulled out; DGCA sends notice to airline

Mumbai: A SpiceJet aircraft, which has been stuck on the runway at Mumbai International Airport since Tuesday, was finally pulled out on runway surface on Thursday night.

"The disabled SpiceJet aircraft, which was stuck in Runway-27 RESA has been pulled out on Runway surface at 11:10 PM yesterday," Mumbai International Airport Limited (MIAL) spokesperson said.

Officials had been trying to pull the aircraft and operationalise the main runway which was shut after the city-bound SpiceJet SG 6237 skidded off the runway while landing at Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport on July 2.

All passengers of the flight on Jaipur-Mumbai route were deplaned normally and are safe. The incident led to the shutdown of the main runway of the Mumbai airport with flights cancelled or diverted to the nearby airports. An alternate runway was put into operation at the airport.

More than 300 flights were cancelled over two days after the SpiceJet flight overshot in the Mumbai airport runway on July 2.

Directorate General of Civil Aviation on Thursday issued show cause notice to Spice Jet after its aircraft skid off the runway.

A Spice Jet aircraft from Pune veered off from the runway at the Kolkata Airport, because of wet tarmac and heavy rainfall on June 2. Passengers were deplaned after the incident and taken to a safer area.

The aviation regulator served the show cause notice asking why no action should be taken against them.

"We are in receipt of the show cause notices issued by the DGCA. Safety is the core value of our operations and is a shared objective of both the DGCA and Spice Jet. We will take all possible steps that may be required to further strengthen our safety mechanism," a Spice Jet spokesperson said.

On June 3, Union Civil Aviation Minister Hardeep Singh Puri said such incidents happen sometimes due to excessive rains.

"Everything is under control and there is no cause of concern," he said.

Five such serious incidents have been reported in various airports in the last three days.

This story has been published from a wire agency feed without modifications to the text. Only the headline has been changed.

Subscribe to newsletters
* Enter a valid email
* Thank you for subscribing to our newsletter.

Click here to read the Mint ePaper Livemint.com is now on Telegram. Join Livemint channel in your Telegram and stay updated

My Reads Logout