Active Stocks
Tue Apr 16 2024 15:59:30
  1. Tata Steel share price
  2. 160.05 -0.53%
  1. Infosys share price
  2. 1,414.75 -3.65%
  1. NTPC share price
  2. 359.40 -0.54%
  1. State Bank Of India share price
  2. 751.90 -0.65%
  1. HDFC Bank share price
  2. 1,509.40 0.97%
Business News/ News / India/  NEET student dies, many ill of liver infections likely due to polluted water
BackBack

NEET student dies, many ill of liver infections likely due to polluted water

A 18-year-old NEET aspirant died in Kota and many are suffering from liver infections likely due to the polluted water of the city

Three water suppliers in the area are found to be supplying contaminated water to coaching institutes, hostels, and canteens (Mint)Premium
Three water suppliers in the area are found to be supplying contaminated water to coaching institutes, hostels, and canteens (Mint)

Many students in Kota are reported to be diagnosed with serious liver ailments likely due to the polluted water of the city. One such student, 18-year-old Vaibhav Roy who was preparing for the NEET exam and was diagnosed with hepatic encephalopathy died during treatment at a private hospital on Thursday.

The exact cause for the death of Vaibhav will be ascertained after the medical examination, but three water suppliers in the area are found to be supplying contaminated water to coaching institutes, hostels, and canteens, the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) of Kota Dr. Jagdish Soni told news agency PTI.

At least 65 samples of water were collected by the health department from various sources after many students were diagnosed with Hepatitis-A.

Vaibhav was a native of West Bengal but was living with his family in Kaithun town of the area for several years.

Hepatic encephalopathy is a nervous system disorder brought on by the severe liver disease. Around 36 students from the Jawahar Nagar area of the city are suffering from the disease, out of which 18 are reported to be recovered while others are still undergoing treatment in various hospitals.

Dr. Rajiv Sharma, who treated Vaibhav, informed that he was admitted to the hospital on 5 October complaining fever and jaundice, but was later diagnosed with hepatic encephalopathy. The swelling in his brain due to the disease turned severe and he died on Thursday.

"At least 10-12 coaching students are getting treated for hepatitis–A for over a week," Dr. K K Pareek of S N Pareek Memorial and Multi-specialty Hospital, where most of these students are admitted, said.

"The infection is most likely to have been caused by contaminated water and food as liver enzymes of the patients were found to be alarmingly high, but all of them are improving," he said.

Additional District Magistrate of Kota, Brij Mohan Bairwa informed that CMHO has been directed to conduct a probe and a report is awaited.

 

With Inputs from PTI.

 

 

 

Unlock a world of Benefits! From insightful newsletters to real-time stock tracking, breaking news and a personalized newsfeed – it's all here, just a click away! Login Now!

Catch all the Business News, Market News, Breaking News Events and Latest News Updates on Live Mint. Download The Mint News App to get Daily Market Updates.
More Less
Published: 15 Oct 2022, 06:04 PM IST
Next Story footLogo
Recommended For You
Switch to the Mint app for fast and personalized news - Get App