Plea filed by the Uttar Pradesh government is scheduled to be heard in the apex court on Thursday
Allahabad HC on Monday in suo-motto case had directed the Lucknow administration to remove posters of anti-CAA protestors
NEW DEHI :
The Uttar Pradesh government on Wednesday moved to Supreme Court with an appeal challenging the Allahabad High Court order. The Allahabad High court on Monday in suo-motto case had directed the Lucknow administration to remove posters displaying pictures of those accused of destroying public property during anti-Citizenship (Amendment) Act, or CAA, protests in December.
The plea filed by the state is scheduled to be heard in the apex court on Thursday by a vacation bench comprising justices UU Lalit and Aniruddha Bose, advocate general for Uttar Pradesh Raghvendra Singh told PTI.
The high court bench comprising Chief Justice Govind Mathur and Justice Ramesh Sinha held a suo motto (on its own) hearing on Sunday morning. In the hearing the division bench had pulled up the state authorities for putting up banners with the pictures and personal details of the people accused in damaging public property during an anti-CAA protest on 19 December, 2019.
The high court in its order pronounced on 9 March asked the Uttar Pradesh government not to install such posters "without having the authority of law". The court also directed the district magistrate and the Lucknow police to submit a compliance report with respect to removal of posters on or before 16 March.
“Where there is gross negligence on part of public authorities and (the) government, where the law is disobeyed and the public is put to suffering and where the precious values of the Constitution are subjected to injuries, a constitutional court can very well take notice of that on its own," said the bench.
Posters bearing photographs, names and addresses of those accused of vandalism during the anti-CAA protests had come up at major road crossings in Lucknow last week on the orders of the state government. The police in Lucknow had identified around 50 people as alleged rioters who were served notices.