Without FASTag pay double toll tax from December. 10 things to know2 min read . Updated: 23 Nov 2019, 07:25 AM IST
- FASTags are being sold for free till December 1 at select places
- You need to recharge FASTags after activating it. Here is how
NEW DELHI : From December 1, all lanes across toll plazas in national highways will be converted into FASTag lanes and vehicles coming without electronic tags will be charged double the toll fee. The new rule will make it possible for you to move across highways seamlessly in India without having to stop your car for paying toll tax.
The new FASTag rule explained in 10 points:
1) The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has decided that it will keep one hybrid lane on the extreme left lane in each direction where FASTags as well as other modes of payments will be accepted.
3) If you are buying FASTags from banks or online through Amazon, then you need to pay ₹100. After December 1, FASTags will not be free anywhere.
4) FASTags are being sold at over 28,500 point-of-sale locations set up by various banks and IHMCL/NHAI which includes all NH fee plazas, RTOs, Common Service Centers, transport hubs, bank branches, selected petrol pumps, etc.
5) FASTags may be purchased online on Amazon and by visiting websites of different member banks such as SBI, ICICI bank, Axis bank, Paytm Payment Banks, HDFC bank, IDFC First bank, etc. FASTag have also been made available at over 12,000 banks branches of prominent private sector banks like ICICI bank, Axis bank, HDFC bank, etc.
6) To buy FASTags, you need to submit several documents -- Registration Certificate (RC) of the vehicle, passport-size photograph of the vehicle owner and KYC documents of the vehicle owner.
7) Once you have the FASTag, you need to activate it by entering details related to you and your vehicle in MY FASTag mobile app.
8) If any car enters the FASTag lane without the electronic tag, the owner of the vehicle will have to cough up twice the normal rate at the toll gates.
9) You need to login in to FASTag portal with user ID or wallet ID and password after which you will get option of 'payment and topup'. Click on 'Recharge' and then select the wallet id where you want to add money. If you are a limited KYC holder, then you are not allowed to add more than ₹10,000 at a time into your FASTag prepaid account. For those with full KYC, you can add upto ₹1 lakh. You can pay by debit card, credit card, netbanking, UPI, etc.
10) FASTags are nothing but electronic tags affixed to the windscreen of your vehicle. As your car approaches a toll gate, a tag reader scans your RFID-based FASTag and deducts the toll charges electronically without any manual intervention.