Home >News >World >Central Kabul struck by barrage of rocket fire, casualties feared
People inspect a damaged house after several rockets land at Khair Khana, north west of Kabul. (AFP)
People inspect a damaged house after several rockets land at Khair Khana, north west of Kabul. (AFP)

Central Kabul struck by barrage of rocket fire, casualties feared

  • The blasts occurred in densely populated parts of the Afghan capital including near the centrally located Green Zone and at a neighbourhood in the north
  • Unverified pictures circulating on social media appeared to show damage in at least two separate buildings

A series of loud explosions shook central Kabul on Saturday, including several rockets that landed near the heavily fortified Green Zone where many embassies and international companies are based, according to reports.

No casualties were reported at the time of filing the story but the blasts occurred in densely populated parts of the Afghan capital including near the centrally located Green Zone and at a neighbourhood in the north.

Kabul police spokesman Ferdaws Faramarz confirmed to a media outlet that "multiple rockets" had been fired, while unverified pictures circulating on social media appeared to show damage in at least two separate buildings.

Officials are yet to comment on the matter but the interior ministry said two small "sticky bomb" explosions had been reported earlier Saturday morning, including one that hit a police car, killing one policeman and wounding three others.

Alarms could be heard blaring at embassies and businesses in and around the Green Zone, a massive, heavily fortified quarter that houses dozens of international companies and their workers.

The explosions come ahead of a meeting between US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and negotiators from the Taliban and the Afghan government the Gulf state of Qatar.

No group immediately claimed responsibility

There is an ongoing wave of violence that has wrought carnage across Afghanistan in recent months. No group immediately claimed responsibility for Saturday's blasts.

The Taliban have pledged not to attack urban areas under the terms of a US withdrawal deal, but the Kabul administration has blamed the insurgents or their proxies for other recent attacks in Kabul.

Taliban and Afghan government negotiators launched peace talks in September but progress has been slow.

Officials told AFP on Friday however that a breakthrough was expected to be announced in the coming days.

In the past six months, the Taliban carried out 53 suicide attacks and 1,250 explosions that left 1,210 civilians dead and 2,500 wounded, interior ministry spokesman Tariq Arian said this week.

With agency inputs

Subscribe to Mint Newsletters
* Enter a valid email
* Thank you for subscribing to our newsletter.

Click here to read the Mint ePaperMint is now on Telegram. Join Mint channel in your Telegram and stay updated with the latest business news.

Close
×
My Reads Redeem a Gift Card Logout