Gaza war: First batch of evacuees reach Egypt after Rafah crossing reopens | Mint
Active Stocks
Thu Feb 29 2024 15:19:22
  1. Kotak Mahindra Bank share price
  2. 1,691.55 0.48%
  1. Axis Bank share price
  2. 1,079.50 0.45%
  1. Tata Steel share price
  2. 140.80 0.04%
  1. Power Grid Corporation Of India share price
  2. 283.95 1.57%
  1. ITC share price
  2. 406.00 -0.64%
Business News/ News / World/  Gaza war: First batch of evacuees reach Egypt after Rafah crossing reopens
BackBack

Gaza war: First batch of evacuees reach Egypt after Rafah crossing reopens

The group that entered into Egypt comprised of seven injured Gaza residents, along with more than 80 foreign nationals and their dependents.

Palestinians carry a casualty at the site of an Israeli strike on a house, in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip November 11, 2023. REUTERS/Hatem Khaled (REUTERS)Premium
Palestinians carry a casualty at the site of an Israeli strike on a house, in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip November 11, 2023. REUTERS/Hatem Khaled (REUTERS)

Hours after the reopening of Rafah border crossing on November 12, the first batch of evacuees from the besieged Gaza Strip reached Egypt. The border crossing was closed for nearly two days since November 10.

The group that entered into the neighbouring Muslim-majority country comprised of seven injured Gaza residents, along with more than 80 foreign nationals and their dependents, news agency Reuters reported, citing sources.

The injured Palestinians are expected to be admitted at medical facilities in Egypt for treatment.

Track latest updates on Israel-Hamas war

The border crossing, which became operational on November 1 for evacuating foreign passport holders and transporting medical and food aid to the besieged population of Gaza, was temporarily closed since November 10 due to issues related to the transportation of injured Palestinians from northern Gaza.

With the border crossing reopening today, around 80 aid trucks arrived in the Gaza Strip from Egypt, Reuters learnt from sources.

Also Read: Israel-Hamas war: Communication lost with Gaza's Al-Shifa Hospital, says WHO

Infant lives at risk

The intensification of clashes between Israeli troops and Hamas near Al-Shifa, the biggest hospital of Gaza, has posed risks to the lives of several patients, including infants.

Israel has offered to evacuate the babies admitted in the hospital, but has not shared a detailed plan. The evacuation would be carried out at the request of the hospital staff, Israel's chief military spokesperson, Rear Admiral Daniel Hagari, reportedly said.

The Gaza Health Ministry has claimed that three children have already died out of the 45 admitted, as operations at the neonatal intensive care unit stopped due to the absence of electricity.

Ashraf Al-Qidra, the ministry spokesperson, told Reuters from inside the hospital that the Israeli offensive did not directly strike the medical facility overnight. However, their action was “terrorising medical officials and civilians alike", he said.

On Israel's offer to evacuate the babies, Al-Qidra claimed that they have not received any communication so far. "We have not been informed about any mechanism to get the babies out to a safer hospital. So far we are praying for their safety and not to lose more of them," he was quoted as saying.

Unlock a world of Benefits! From insightful newsletters to real-time stock tracking, breaking news and a personalized newsfeed – it's all here, just a click away! Login Now!

Catch all the Business News, Market News, Breaking News Events and Latest News Updates on Live Mint. Check all the latest action on Budget 2024 here. Download The Mint News App to get Daily Market Updates.
More Less
Published: 12 Nov 2023, 08:02 PM IST
Next Story footLogo
Recommended For You
Switch to the Mint app for fast and personalized news - Get App