2 min read.Updated: 03 Apr 2020, 11:38 PM ISTBloomberg
Most workplaces, except for essential services, will close starting Tuesday
The action comes as confirmed cases of local transmission in the country have risen in recent weeks
Singapore’s government will shutter schools and most workplaces as the city-state unveiled a raft of stricter measures intended as a “circuit breaker" to slow the spread of coronavirus.
Most workplaces, except for essential services and key economic sectors, will close starting on Tuesday, while the city-state will move to full home-based learning in its schools starting Wednesday, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said in an address to the nation Friday afternoon. The government will also unveil additional stimulus measures to boost the economy early next week.
The action comes as confirmed cases of local transmission and unlinked infections in the country have risen in recent weeks. “We have decided that instead of tightening incrementally over the next few weeks, we should make a decisive move now, to preempt escalating infections," said Lee.
Here are other details of the stricter measures:
Casinos, theme parks to close starting next week
Food establishments, markets and supermarkets, clinics, hospitals, utilities, transport and key banking services will remain open.
From April 7, all restaurants, hawker centers, coffee shops, food courts and other food and beverage outlets will remain open only for takeaway or delivery
Other economic sectors “that are strategic, or form part of a global supply chain" will not be closed
All preschool and student care centers will also be closed, but will provide limited services for children of parents who have to continue working and are unable to make alternative care arrangements
Government will stop discouraging the general public from wearing face masks in public, and will distribute reusable masks from April 5
Singapore’s government also plans on Monday to announce more support aimed at businesses and households. Singapore delivered a second stimulus package worth S$48 billion ($33.5 billion) last week to fight the outbreak, drawing on national reserves for the first time since the global financial crisis to support an economy heading for recession.
‘Very Worrying’ Trends
Lee said the spirit of these measures is to get people to minimize physical contact. “If we don’t go out, if we avoid contact with others, then the virus won’t be able to spread. It is as simple as that," he said.
Lawrence Wong, minister for national development who co-chairs a task force to fight the virus, said in a press conference Friday the increase in the number of local and unlinked coronavirus cases are “very, very worrying trends."
The latest set of moves will continue for at least a month, Wong said, adding there’s a chance the government can roll back the measures by the end of the month if the guidelines are upheld. “If there’s poor compliance, poor implementation, then we have to be prepared for these measures to continue," Wong said. “Let’s hunker down and beat the virus together."
Singapore announced Friday a fifth person has died due to complications from the coronavirus. Cases have risen more sharply in March compared to earlier months, and now total more than 1,000.
This story has been published from a wire agency feed without modifications to the text. Only the headline has been changed.
Subscribe to Mint Newsletters
* Enter a valid email
* Thank you for subscribing to our newsletter.
Never miss a story! Stay connected and informed with Mint.
our App Now!!