Generative AI will require us to recalibrate how we do our work2 min read 25 May 2023, 11:24 PM IST
It can take care of mundane tasks and liberate our schedules to focus on what best generates value
I was struck by a remarkable statement by software engineer Kent Beck, author of Extreme Programming. “I have been reluctant to try ChatGPT," he tweeted, “today I got over that reluctance. Now I understand why I was reluctant. The value of 90% of my skills just dropped to $0. The leverage of the remaining 10% went up 1000x. I need to recalibrate." I got reminded of this as I was flipping through a new report (bit.ly/3BGbIby) on AI and the future of work by Microsoft WorkLab. It had some interesting revelations: More than half the typical workday of a corporate employee was devoted to communication like emails, meetings, chats, etc. The remaining 43% was for actual creative tasks, and even a lot of that was also about creating spreadsheets, documents in various formats or slides to present at meetings. No wonder that more than two-thirds of workers complained they did not have uninterrupted focused time during their workday. I tend to empathize with this. I was a corporate citizen for more than two decades and have been a ‘solopreneur’ for the last few years. While there are infinite struggles being an entrepreneur, my productivity has ratcheted up several times unencumbered by countless meetings discussing the same old issues, with similar information being presented to different people in different formats in a work routine that leaves virtually no time for any deep thinking.