India take on South Africa in their first match of the ICC cricket World Cup 2019
Livemint takes a look at how India could line up against the Proteas in the opener
India take on South Africa in their first match of the ICC cricket World Cup 2019 and the team would be eager to get to a good start against the Proteas.
India had a mixed bag in the warm-up matches, losing to New Zealand before battering Bangladesh. The ‘Men in Blue’ gave all their players a run out in those two games. Some players in that match did well while others failed to take their opportunity.
South Africa on the other hand have had a terrible start, losing to England and Bangladesh both. On top of that they have have been hit by injuries too, Lungi Ngidi has a hamstring injury, while Dale Steyn has been ruled out with a
Here is a look at Livemint’s predicted team for their match against South Africa at the Rose Bowl in Southampton.
1) Shikhar Dhawan – One of the best players for Team India and he is set to start against South Africa. Has a terrific record against them as well.
2) Rohit Sharma – Rohit Sharma has been one of the best players in the world in ODI cricket now and him and Shikhar Dhawan have formed a formidable pairing. A left-right combination is an added bonus.
3) Virat Kohli – Best player in the world and he will bat at his regular position. Could take the match away form any team if he plays well.
4) KL Rahul – He won the battle of number 4s from Ambati Rayudu and scored a ton against Bangladesh in the warm-up match too. He will play in India's engine room.
5) MS Dhoni – Like Rahul he scored a ton against Bangladesh in the warm-up match and has been in brilliant form with bat recently. He will take the gloves behind the stumps too.
6) Hardik Pandya – Big hitting all rounder to take the game away from the opposition and can bowl some really useful overs in the middle as well as the death overs.
7) Ravindra Jadeja – India’s spin bowling all rounder; can provide useful runs with the bat and can bowl 10 overs at any stage of the game economically.
8) Kuldeep Yadav – India’s undoubted number one spinner in the limited overs cricket. Though he had a tough IPL he has been a star for Team India in ODIs
9) Bhuvneshwar Kumar – Kumar has been India’s star seamer in the last few years and is likely to be a regular during the tournament.
10) Mohammed Shami – Will be brought on as the first change bowler, his ability to bowl yorkers and reverse swing is his best quality.
11) Jasprit Bumrah – India’s outstanding fast bowler, brilliant up front, lethal at the death and class every time. His form is likely to have a huge say in what happens with India in the ICC cricket World Cup 2019.
Subscribe to Mint Newsletters
* Enter a valid email
* Thank you for subscribing to our newsletter.
Never miss a story! Stay connected and informed with Mint.
our App Now!!