It has been an ideal start for India at the ICC cricket World Cup 2019. The ‘Men in Blue’ have won two out of two of their matches in the tournament so far.
India have not only won both their matches, but they have beaten two of the strongest teams in the competition in Australia and South Africa.
However, opener and one of the pillars of a strong batting line up, Shikhar Dhawan is out and his journey in the cup could very well be over. A tough decision awaits India as to who to bring in.
Like India, New Zealand have made an unbeaten start to the competition and now both go ahead at Trent Bridge in Nottingham. The winner of the match could very well, even at this early stage of the tournament, book their spot in the last four of the World Cup.
Here is Livemint’s predicted India line-up for the ICC cricket World Cup tie in Nottingham against New Zealand.
1) KL Rahul – Has previously opened the batting in all formats of the game and is a natural replacement for Dhawan. He has also done well in two matches for India so far so it is an easy decision.
2) Rohit Sharma – Like his opening partner, Rohit has struck a ton in the tournament, and on top of that he has also struck a half century. His form bodes well for India in the tournament.
3) Virat Kohli – Looks in sublime form against Australia at the Oval. His superb innings propelled to a total which was a bit too much for the Aussies.
4) Dinesh Karthik – The way the Indian squad is, the choice is between Dinesh Karthik and Vijay Shankar and given Karthik has been doing reasonably. Karthik did well in IPL too and he comes in for injured Dhawan.
5) MS Dhoni – Undoubted number one for India behind the stumps and has been in good form with the bat so far in the ICC cricket World Cup 2019.
6) Kedar Jadhav – Hasn’t had anything to do in the cup so far with the bat and has bowled five overs. He could be the one whose neck could be the one the chopping block but it’s unlikely.
7) Hardik Pandya – Has done brilliantly with the bat in both games so far, but needs to do better with the ball especially if he is to be India’s third seamer going into the latter part of the tournament.
8) Kuldeep Yadav – Started the tournament as India’s number one spinner but has only picked up one wicket so far in the tournament. Going up against New Zealand could offer a chance to get into some wicket taking form.
9) Bhuvneshwar Kumar –Five wickets so far in the tournament and he was the one who put the brakes on Australia when they were looking really dangerous with two wickets in the over. His economy rate has been good too.
10) Yuzvendra Chahal – India’s leading wicket-taker so far in the tournament with six wickets and has been a mystery for batsmen, how he and Kuldeep fair in the next few matches will have a huge bearing on how team performs.
11) Jasprit Bumrah – India’s number one bowler in all forms of cricket and he has been superb so far, picking up five wickets. He will offer serious threat to the Kiwi top-order batsmen.