WhatsApp clarifies 'rumours' surrounding privacy issues1 min read . Updated: 12 Jan 2021, 04:25 PM IST
- The recent changes in the policy have raised concerns regarding the apps ability to protect user’s data
Here’s what WhatsApp has to say about the recent changes:
- WhatsApp cannot see your private messages or hear your calls and neither can Facebook
- WhatsApp does not keep logs of who everyone is messaging and calling
- WhatsApp cannot see your shared location and neither can Facebook
- WhatsApp does not share your contacts with Facebook
- WhatsApp groups remain private
- The user can set their messages to dissapear
- The user can download their data
The company, in its blog emphasised that this update includes changes related to messaging a business on WhatsApp, which it claims is optional.
As some large businesses need to use hosting services to manage their communication with customers, WhatsApp claims that is why they are giving businesses the option to use secure hosting services from Facebook to manage WhatsApp chats with their customers. Whether the users communicate with a business by phone, email, or WhatsApp, it can see what you’re saying and may use that information for its own marketing purposes, which may include advertising on Facebook.