WhatsApp features: How to backup and restore your chats3 min read . Updated: 18 Jan 2020, 07:36 AM IST
- If you don't want to miss out on your important WhatsApp messages and media, you must backup your chats
- Here's how to backup and restore your chats on your smartphones
Using WhatsApp for official purpose? Or just for staying in touch with your friends and loved ones? Perhaps, you do not want to lose those chats as they may be important to you.
In order to keep your chat history intact even after uninstall and reinstall the app for any plausible reason or while switching to a new phone, it's always a good idea to backup your chats and media for future reference. Here's how to do it on Android and iOS phones:
How to backup chats on Android:
- After opening the app, tap on three vertical dots on the top right corner of your Android phone
- Tap on Settings
- Then click on ‘Chats’
- At the bottom, click on ‘Chat backup’ option. It will show you the Google Drive Settings option.
- In that, select ‘Back up to Google Drive’ option. You will get an option to backup both chats and videos shared over the app. If you want to backup the media as well, tap on 'Include videos'.
- Once you select that, you will be asked to pick up a backup frequency- Never, Only when I tap “Back up", Daily, Weekly, Monthly
- Select the option that suits you
- Then, under the Google Account option, add your Gmail address where you want to save and backup your chats
- For advanced settings, you can also select the connectivity via which you want to save the chats, either over Wi-Fi, cellular, or both
- Finally, click on the option ‘Backup’ to save all your chats to Google Drive or your gmail account.
Once you have done these settings, all your chats will get backed up for now and for the future.
How to backup chats on your iPhone:
To backup your chats on iOS, you must turn on iCloud Drive on your iPhone. After that, follow these steps:
- Go to WhatsApp
- Click on the ‘Settings’ option at the bottom right corner
- Tap on ‘Chats’
- Tap on the ‘Chat backup’
- Select the option ‘Back Up Now’ to backup chats to your iCloud Drive
- iOS users can also allow iCloud to automatically store their WhatsApp conversations on the screen
- If you want the app to back up your chats and media automatically, tap the ‘Auto Backup’ option
- Select the backup frequency - Daily, Weekly and Monthly - according to your needs. You can also include media by clicking on 'Include videos' option
-And viola! Your chats will get saved.
However, these options are for saving the chats on your current phone. But, what about the time you switch to another phone or due to some issue have to reinstall the app entirely? Well, there is a way to restore your chats as well. Here are the steps on how to do it on both Android or iOS device:
After you install WhatsApp on your new smartphone or reinstall it in your existing one, log in to your WhatsApp account by inserting your phone number registered with the app. Once you do that, you will find a prompt by WhatsApp, giving you the option to restore your chats. If you want to restore the chats, follow these steps:
- On the prompt to find and restore your backup from Google Drive or iCloud Drive for iPhones, tap Continue
- Select on ‘Give Permission’ to let WhatsApp check for backup
- Click on the account where you have taken backup of your conversations
- Tap on Restore
But there is a tiny catch here, if you're planning on switching from Android to iPhone and still wish to save all your WhatsApp messages, well, tough luck!
When you back up WhatsApp on your Android phone, you back up to Google Drive. The Android WhatsApp app uses Google Drive to back up and restore. On the other hand, the iOS WhatsApp app uses iCloud for both backup and restore.
Unfortunately, even if you have the iOS Google Drive app, you still won't be able to restore your Android WhatsApp files as the iOS WhatsApp will only backup and restore via the iCloud.