Huawei sub-brand Honor's Indian division on Thursday announced that its recently launched Honor 20-series of smartphones would continue to receive security patches and Android updates. In fact, Honor India said all of its smartphones and tablets would continue to receive security patches and Android updates.
Honor India in a tweet said: Anyone who has already bought, or is about to buy an HONOR smartphone can continue to access the world of app as they have always done. All devices continue to be covered by our manufacturer's warranty and will receive full support accordingly.
Honor and Huawei have made similar announcements in their overseas divisions previously.
"Our most popular current devices, including the P30 series, will be able to access Android Q. In fact we have already launched a beta developer programme for the Android Q which is running right now on our Mate 20 series," Huawei Mobile UK said in a statement on Twitter.
Also Read | Huawei P30 Pro review: Makes you wish Huawei never fell victim to the trade war
This comes at a time when the US placed Huawei, the world's largest maker of telecom equipment, on a trading blacklist. This placed the future of Huawei and its sub-brand Honor under question, as the smartphones from these use hardware and software from American tech companies.
The Chinese telecom major's relationship with Google has also been inevitably strained due to the FTC order. Google in May announced it would cut access to some of Huawei’s operating system features for the company’s new devices. Following this, Huawei has been on a lookout for alternative operating systems and has even boosted the progress on its own "hongmeng OS".
However, Huawei and Honor have constantly made it clear on their websites that their products would continue to receive Android firmware and security updates. Huawei even said third-party applications could be installed on its devices without any issues.